The Five Murphys

The Five Murphys

April 15, 2009

Sleeping with the Murphys

So, I write this blog to create a family journal, so to speak. I like to keep track of all the fun and exciting things we do, milestones that are reached and the trials and tribulations of being a family. I have decided that I am going to start creating more entries regarding the day to day aspects of life in our house, so we don't forget how wonderful each day is in the Murphy household. Today, I want to write about our family sleeping arrangement (which I am guessing the majority of you would not choose for your house), and the joy it brought me just yesterday morning.

You know that feeling when you know, I mean really KNOW, how completely and utterly blessed you are and you really, TOTALLY, feel content. I was lucky enough to get that feeling yesterday morning when I walked into our bedroom after my workout at the gym.

First, a little background: most pediatricians would tell you that the sleeping situation at our house is not ideal. Miss Brighton, at nearly 2 1/2 years old, still sleeps with Mommy and Daddy EVERY night from about midnight (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) on. She will typically wake up, stumble down the hall, and whisper "Mommy, I sleep wif you" until I pull her into bed with us. Then, she snuggles contently in between Gavin and I, rotating from one to the other of us for snuggles all night long. What's worse according to pediatricians, is that we did not even put her to bed in her own bed until she turned 2. We did the same thing with Max and Bella, snuggling with them on our bed until they were 2 and then putting them in their own beds after they reached the age of 2. The transition with Max and Bella was seamless, they loved sleeping in their big kid beds and no longer required any assistance falling asleep. Brighton, like in all things, was a bit more high-maintenance and screamed bloody murder until we relented and snuggled her to sleep - now in her own bed. The truth is, we kind of like snuggling her to sleep and dread the day when our youngest child no longer wants us to do so.

Well, in addition to Brighton sleeping with us from whenever on, we usually have one or both of the older two sneaking into bed with us before wake-up time. This is usually after 5 in the morning. If it is before 5 (okay maybe like 4:30) we send Max and Bella back to bed until it's "morning". Generally, however, if it is after 5 (or maybe 4:30) we'll let them climb into bed with us as well. This results is all five Murphys in Mom and Dad's bed on the weekend from about 5 to 7 when we all roll out and head downstairs for coffee (Mom and Dad) and cartoons.

Now, many of you are thinking we are crazy. Perhaps (as pediatricians do) you'll say that none of us are getting any sleep, or at least not "deep" sleep. And no, I am not an "attachment parenting" devotee, but I guess that is obvious since I work outside the home. I would disagree with our critics regarding the lack of sleep. I sleep like a log (unless a child awakens me as a result of a nightmare or some other issue, which would happen regardless of where we were sleeping). Brighton sleeps like a log. And Max and Bella sleep until 7 or 7:30 on the weekend, when they would be up at 5 or 6 otherwise (I will admit that the sleeping situation is rather crowded after 5 on the weekends, however).

Not only that, but Gavin and I both LOVE it. Just the other day, Gavin asked if I thought it was weird that more people didn't sleep with their children. We talk frequently about how sad we will be when Max and Bella just go downstairs, turn the TV on, and watch cartoons without even letting us know they are awake. We really like our morning snuggle time. Maybe because we both work and feel like we miss that opportunity in the daytime, or maybe simply because we are physical people and so are our children and we appreciate that opportunity to hold them tight and let them know, without words, how much we love them.

Anyway, back to my feeling of contentment and blessedness (if that's not a word, it should be). I get back from the gym at 6:15 am yesterday and head up to shower. When I walk into our bedroom I find the four people I love most in the world all snuggled in our bed together, fast asleep. Max is on the end of the bed, Bella next to him with Brighton curled into her armpit, and Gavin with his arm over Brighton. They were all sleeping so soundly with sweet faces that I swear were curled into content little smiles. They looked so peaceful and happy and . . . loved. Like they loved one another and like they knew they were loved and like they were snuggled into a warm cocoon of love. It was beautiful. I took a breathe, watched them all sleep for a few moments, and then jumped in the shower to begin another crazy Murphy week day.

No comments: